Networks & Wi-Fi at the College of Engineering
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) networks are available in all College of Engineering buildings, and may be used by all University of Michigan students, faculty, staff, and guests.
- All rooms in College of Engineering buildings have active network jacks that require device registration in order to gain access.
- The U-M Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows the College community to access the University network remotely over a secure, encrypted connection.
- A few buildings in the College of Engineering have enhanced cellular coverage for participating cellular providers.
- If your device cannot detect a particular wireless network name (SSID), or cannot establish a connection, contact the ITS Service Center for assistance.
- MWireless is the preferred Wi-Fi network for University of Michigan students, faculty, and staff. This SSID requires a U-M uniqname and password to log in, and IP address assignments are within the University address space. Instructions for connecting to MWireless can be found on the ITS Connecting to MWireless page.
- MGuest is the preferred Wi-Fi network for guests and visitors of the University. This SSID only requires an email address to gain access, and the IP address assignments are outside of the University address space. Instructions for connecting to MGuest can be found on the ITS MGuest Wi-Fi Network page.
- eduroam is a secured Wi-Fi network service that allows students, staff, and faculty to use their home institution's credentials to access Wi-Fi network services when visiting other eduroam participating institutions. Instructions for connecting to eduroam can be found on the ITS eduroam at U-M page.
Wired Network Connections
Wired network access is the preferred connection for transferring large data sets and high bandwidth streaming applications. Access to the wired network requires registration of the device, and IP address assignments are within the University address space. Instructions for connecting to the wired network can be found on our Connect to the Wired Network page.
Virtual Private Network
The U-M Virtual Private Network (VPN) is available to all College of Engineering students, faculty, and staff. It provides a secure computing experience when accessing a U-M network from a remote location. Information on using the VPN can be found on the ITS U-M Virtual Private Network page.
Cellular data network enhancements are available in a number of College of Engineering buildings for a limited number of carriers. No special authentication is required to use these networks, and IP address assignments are within the individual cellular carrier’s address space. Information on using cellular networks within buildings can be found on the ITS Cellular on Campus page.