- CAEN Accounts are validated periodically for continued eligibility.
- Ineligible account holders are notified via email two weeks prior to the expiration of their account.
- Individuals may retain their CAEN Account if eligibility can be verified through authoritative University data sources, such as Wolverine Access.
CAEN Account Expiration Schedule
The CAEN Account expiration schedule for Winter 2020 is as follows:
- Wednesday, January 29 – Initial warning messages regarding the expiration of CAEN Accounts are sent via email.
- Wednesday, February 12 – Final warning messages are sent via email.
- Tuesday, February 18 – All CAEN Account access expires at 11:59 p.m.
Note: CAEN reserves the right to expire access at any time for students who withdraw from courses or transfer out of the College of Engineering, and for employees who are terminated and/or based on their last day of employment at the College.
Retaining Your CAEN Account
If you receive an expiration warning email message, and you believe an error has been made or you are still eligible, you must submit an online application at the CAEN Account Validation request form (requires login with your U-M Google account). All requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Information outlining who is eligible is available on the CAEN Account Eligibility page.
Backing Up Files Before Your CAEN Account Expires
If you are no longer eligible for a CAEN Account, you should retrieve the files stored in your CAEN online file storage (also known as your Windows Home Directory) before your access expires. Your CAEN online file storage will no longer be available to you once your account expires, and all files stored there may be permanently deleted after the expiration period ends.
Copying your files to an external device or other media from any CAEN computer is one option for making a personal backup. You may also download your files to your personal computer. Refer to our knowledge base for instructions on using SFTP or SCP to access your files remotely:
- Students: How to Access Your Online File Storage
- Faculty & Staff: How to Access Your Online File Storage
Your Other Computing Accounts at U-M
Only CAEN Accounts are affected by the process described above. Any other computing accounts you may have at the University (e.g. ITS or ARC-TS FLUX…) are not affected. University-wide services such as U-M Google or Box accounts, AFS Personal Storage, or U-M Library access are also not affected.
Refer to the ITS page on Managing Your Digital Files and Information When You Leave U-M for further assistance with the expiration of all U-M computing services.