Who We Are
CAEN is the information technology (IT) services department for the University of Michigan College of Engineering. We offer IT resources to support the College’s educational, research, and administrative needs. These resources are provided to U-M students, faculty, and staff with roles in the College, with a focus on the specific needs and requirements of students and faculty in engineering disciplines. CAEN works with the University’s Information and Technology Services (ITS) group, as well as local departmental IT staff, for the planning and deployment of IT activities and College initiatives.
What We Do
CAEN’s main IT service areas include:
- Student Computing Environment offers on-campus and remote access to computers, including an extensive library of engineering software. Resources are delivered in allocations as part of a computing account.
- Instructional Technology incorporates engineering classroom technology and equipment, assistance with various instructor tools, technical and production aid for special events, and an online lecture recording service to support the needs of Engineering faculty.
- Research Computing provides consulting to faculty and researchers on software or hardware needs, high performance computing, and U-M cloud computing resources.
- Web Services support the Michigan Engineering web presence, and provides a web publishing service that includes consultation and hosting for faculty, research labs or centers, and departments. This team also deploys College-wide web application services to augment administrative and departmental processes for the College.
- Administrative & Departmental Support includes desktop installations to support departmental productivity needs, and an information security program that helps departments comply with CAEN policies and the U-M Standard Practice Guide.
CAEN consultants are available to answer questions about any of these services.
General inquiries about the Michigan Engineering IT environment can also be directed to Dan Maletta, Executive Director of Information Technology.