- The Engineering Base Desktop (EBD) is CAEN’s fully-configured, easy-to-install, and ready-to-use software environment based on Microsoft Windows 10.
- It is designed to support the administrative and productivity needs of College of Engineering departments.
- As configured and with no other modification, it supports web browsing, working with Microsoft Office documents, viewing PDFs, and accessing cloud-based files.
- It is fully integrated with Microsoft Windows network services, including access to CAEN’s online file storage and software-on-demand services.
The Engineering Base Desktop (EBD) is available to College of Engineering departments at no direct cost, however, software license restrictions limit its installation to University of Michigan-owned computers. It is intended to be installed on supported hardware configurations by departmental IT support staff. Faculty and staff who are interested in using the EBD should contact the IT staff in your department.
The Engineering Base Desktop includes:
- Microsoft Windows 10 operating system, complete with current patches, anti-virus software and automatic updates enabled.
- A default set of pre-installed applications, including Microsoft Office, and access to additional applications via a software-on-demand service.
- For laptops, Microsoft DirectAccess and the Cisco VPN Client are installed by default, which allows for seamless access to resources from off-campus, including mapped network drives and online file storage.
- Default security (including support for enabling BitLocker), power management, and other system settings that reflect best practices and technical expertise from campus and Microsoft.
In addition to being usable “as is,” the EBD may be customized at the departmental level with additional applications, access control, and other system settings.
Faculty & Staff
Contact your departmental IT support staff to request the Engineering Base Desktop for your University-owned computer.
Departmental IT Support Staff
It is important to understand your responsibilities before beginning installation of CAEN’s Microsoft Windows-based products on your departmental computers. Download the installation media only after you have read and understood your responsibilities described in the Pre-Deployment Guide.
The following set of applications are installed and available locally on computer running the Engineering Base Desktop:
- Box Tools + Box for Office
- Cisco VPN Client
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Office 2016 *
- Microsoft Project 2016 **
- Microsoft Visio 2016 **
- Microsoft Visual Studio w/Intel Fortran
- Mozilla Firefox
- Numecent Cloudpaging Player (AppsAnywhere)
- Sun JRE/Java
- VMware Horizon Client
- VMware Player
* denotes University-wide site licensed software
** applications are pre-installed, but require activation
Additional Applications Available via Software-on-demand
The following set of applications are available to faculty and staff using the Engineering Base Desktop via the software-on-demand (AppsAnywhere) service:
- Adobe Reader
- ArcGIS Desktop
- ArcGIS Pro
- Autodesk Screencast
- CAEN VNC
- CrashPlan PROe
- Foxit Reader
- Ghostscript w/GSview
- Java SE JDK
- LabVIEW w/Arduino drivers
- Password Safe
- WinEdit w/MikTex
Many frequently asked questions about the Engineering Base Desktop are covered in our online knowledge base. Departmental IT support staff are encouraged to contact CAEN regarding problems or question about deployment.