- Access to CAEN computer lab services is validated periodically for continued eligibility.
- Ineligible access holders are notified via email two weeks prior to the expiration of their access.
- Individuals may retain their CAEN Access, if eligibility can be verified through authoritative University data sources, such as Wolverine Access.
Access Expiration Schedule
The CAEN Access expiration schedule for Fall 2022 is as follows:
- Tuesday, September 20 – Initial warning messages regarding the expiration of CAEN Access are sent via email.
- Tuesday, September 27 – Final warning messages are sent via email.
- Monday, October 3 – CAEN Access expires at 11:59 p.m.
Note: CAEN reserves the right to expire access at any time for students who withdraw from courses or transfer out of the College of Engineering, and for employees who are terminated based on their last day of employment at the College.
Retaining Your CAEN Access
If you receive an expiration warning message, and you believe an error has been made or you are otherwise still eligible, you must submit a request for continued access via the CAEN Access Validation request form (requires login with your U-M Google account). All requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Information outlining who is eligible is available on the CAEN Access Eligibility page.
Saving Files Before Your CAEN Access Expires
If you are no longer eligible for CAEN Access, you should retrieve the files stored in your CAEN online file storage (also known as your Windows Home Directory) before your access expires. Your files will no longer be available to you once your access expires, and all files stored there may be permanently deleted after the expiration period ends.
Downloading your files to a personal computer or other media is available remotely over the Internet. Refer to our knowledge base for instructions on using SFTP or SCP clients to download your files quickly:
- Students & Course Instructors: How do I access my Student Windows Home Directory?
- Faculty & Staff: How do I access my Faculty/Staff Windows Home Directory?
Your Other Computing Services at U-M
Only your CAEN Access is affected by the process described above.
Any other computing access or accounts you may have at the University (e.g. from ITS or ARC Great Lakes) are not affected. University-wide services such as Canvas, Google Apps or Dropbox accounts, or U-M Library access are also not affected.
Refer to the ITS page on Managing Your Digital Files and Information When You Leave U-M for assistance with the expiration of your other U-M computing services.