Printing in CAEN Computer Labs

  • Information and Technology Services (ITS) provides the printing services in CAEN computer labs, just like in Campus Computing Site.
  • Eligible students at the College of Engineering receive a supplemental printing allocation each full term for use on ITS printers.
  • Charges are taken from each allocation per impression (per printed side of a piece of paper) at ITS rates.
  • Additional charges printed beyond the total allocations (ITS + CAEN) each term are charged to student accounts.
  • Printing allocations are reset on the first business day for each term.


The College of Engineering provides a supplemental printing allocation to eligible student CAEN Account holders each full term. This supplemental allocation is added to the ITS Standard Computing Services printing allocation, and is intended to address the academic needs of Engineering students while ensuring that printing resources are used effectively.

Students can use their total printing allocation at ITS printing locations across campus, including in CAEN computer labs, the Duderstadt Center, and ITS Campus Computing Sites. This printing allocation can only be used to print impressions on ITS printers, including black & white, color, tabloid and poster printers. Refer to the ITS Printing page for all options.

Using the Printers

With the document open, select the Print… option from the application’s main menu (often labeled as “File”). Some applications also support using keyboard shortcuts by holding down the Ctrl then P keys to bring up the Print dialog box.

Refer to the ITS web page on How to Use MPrint for further options and instructions for printing on campus.

Allocations & Costs

All University of Michigan students receive a set of Standard Computing Services from ITS each term, which provides $24.00 for use on ITS printers. Eligible students at the College of Engineering also receive a College-funded supplemental allocation of $30.00, for a total allocation of $54.00 per full term. After the ITS allocation has been depleted, the College-funded allocation will start being charged.

Each impression printed on an ITS printer is deducted from the total of these printing allocations for each student. After the total allocation is depleted for an individual, and if no other allocations are available, charges for additional impressions are applied to student accounts at the ITS rates.

Check Your Printing Usage

Determine how much you’ve printed on ITS printers this term, and how much of your allocation remains at the ITS Printing Usage web page.

Questions or Problems?

Questions about the supplemental printing allocation should be directed to the CAEN Hotline.

For all other printing questions, or to report printer jams, malfunctions or quality problems, contact the ITS Service Center.