The Windows Remote Desktop Service allows eligible individuals at the College to remotely access the CAEN Lab Software Environment (CLSE) for Windows. It is intended to provide the same experience as being in a CAEN computer lab, however, the availability of some applications may differ due to software compatibility limitations or license terms. Refer to our software listing for details about which software applications are available when using this service.
While the service can be accessed over the web at caen.midesktop.it.umich.edu, using the VMware Horizon Client is recommended for better performance.
- CAEN Labs 2020 provides access to the latest hardware and software licensed for student instructional or non-commercial research use from any location
- CAEN Labs 2020 – 16 GB RAM offers remote access to computers with a minimum of 16 GB of memory
- CAEN Labs 2020 – 32 GB RAM provides access to a limited number of computers for tasks where additional memory is needed
- CAEN Labs 2020 – 8 GB Graphics grants access to computers with 32 GB RAM, and also include a higher performance graphics card
- CAEN Labs 2020 – Duderstadt Center offers remote access to a number of physical computers located in the Duderstadt Center, which are open to all U-M students
Downloading & Using the VMware Horizon Client
For the best experience, CAEN highly recommends using the VMware Horizon Client when connecting to the Windows Remote Desktop Service. Refer to our knowledge base article for detailed instructions on installing and connecting with the client.